Antibiotics are commonly used in veterinary medicine to treat bacterial infections in dogs and cats. When antibiotics are ingested in toxic amounts, it can result in mild to severe signs ranging from gastrointestinal signs (e.g., drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, discolored teeth), metabolic signs (e.g., skin lesions, liver failure, kidney failure, etc.) to central nervous system signs (e.g., tremors, seizures, death). One type of “antibiotic” called isoniazid is used for the treatment of tuberculosis in human medicine, and can be deadly when dogs and cats ingest them (resulting in severe tremors, seizures, and death). As there are hundreds of different types of antibiotics, always check with your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline if your dog or cat accidentally ingested antibiotics. Azithromycin is used to prevent and treat a very serious type of infection (mycobacteria or MAC). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness. This medication will not work for viral infections (such as common cold, flu). Take this medication by mouth, with or without food. You may take this medication with food if stomach upset occurs. To prevent infection, take this drug as directed by your doctor, usually once a week on the same day each week. Continue to take this medication until your doctor tells you to stop. To treat infection, take this drug as directed by your doctor, usually once daily at the same time each day.
Zithromax is a relatively common antibiotic medication that is provided to cats. It is a powerful medicine that can eliminate infections caused by bacteria. Azithromycin Zithromax in dogs and cats the indications for use, side effects, contraindications, drug or food interactions, toxicity, and signs of an overdose.